Our Ecommerce Website conversion rate Boosting Strategy by 7%

 Client Introduction 

A modern Ayurveda brand put their trust in us as they ventured into the journey of E-commerce.

Our client is a contemporary Ayurvedic company that strives to bring the best of nature, time-tested formulas of Ayurveda to 21st-century customers. With the expertise of 70 years in Ayurveda, their unique medicinal blends and knowledge for Ayurvedic products have been passed down from generation to generation through intense practice preserved over time.

After healing and winning the hearts of more than 10+ million customers for over a century and perfecting their ages-old formulas through careful expertise, the company now owns 100+ FDA approved formulations for Ayurvedic proprietary medicine.


The Challenge

The client’s budget was humongous on online advertising, mostly Facebook and Google, to drive traffic to their E-commerce website and generate sales. Even after doing the essentials, they couldn’t witness any significant outcome.

Our Strategy

We began with a profound analysis of their product catalogue. They had a wide variety of products serving almost all age groups. All the details were careful understood at a macro level. Our next step was to inspect the target audience and their behaviour by factors like demographic, product need, price, customer satisfaction etc. 

Our next step was an inspection of Google Analytics to observe the user behaviour across the last 12 months. Our Google Analytics concluded that new users were more than the repeat users.

We went further probing into the mobile vs. desktop behaviour, with this probe it concluded the following:

The mobile experience of our Ayurvedic brand needed optimisation immediately.

We dig deeper on the subject of mobile analysis and found out that users using the following mobile phones had the lowest conversions :

  • Samsung SM-G610F Galaxy J7 Prime
  • Xiaomi Redmi 5A
  • Samsung J701F Galaxy J7 Nxt
  • Xiaomi Redmi 6A

Hence Android users were facing more issue and that was our first step of optimisation. Android devices as compared to IOS devices were lower in conversion.

Our next step of the conversion strategy was inspecting the cities which gave maximum traffic. After this research we found the following data for the last 6 months:

Kolkata and Delhi had the highest conversion rates as compared to other cities. This is because the client was well established and people trusted their brand in these cities.

However, the traffic from these two cities was just 10% of the overall website traffic.

Hence, this is how we decided our major area of focus for conversion. We need to target our ads in these cities.

Next, we compared the conversions of two sets of users – one who use the internal site search on the site and one who buys without using the site search. We did this for Desktop and Mobile devices separately and the results were alarming.

Desktop conversions were 97% higher for users who were using a site search as compared to the ones who did not use the site search.

Mobile conversions were also higher by 27% as compared to users who did not use a site search.

Thus, it was very clear that the internal site search was able to assist users and help them buy. We had to now improve the visibility of site search and try and ensure more and more users use that for their purchase.

Next, we analyzed the user behaviour in terms of traffic and bounce rate on Desktop and Mobile across the top-visited pages on the website.

Though the results were predictable and mobile bounce rate was higher across all pages in comparison to Desktop, but we also noticed that Desktop bounce was higher than average on certain product pages.

This gave us a starting point for our CRO process.

Conversion Rate Optimization Process

After the above analysis, we were sure of one thing that we had to improve the mobile experience since most of the users were using a mobile device to access the site.

So we began with the pages where the bounce rate was maximum and was getting the desired amount of traffic.

We did a user experience (UX) audit on those pages using various mobile devices and inspected the entire purchase funnel right till order placement. After this profound analysis, we recorded several issues that the end-user would be facing while shopping on the site.

These reported issues were largely related to :

  1. Navigation links
  2. Site search
  3. Product page layout
  4. Offers popup
  5. Multi-lingual content pages
  6. Checkout

We reported 20 mobile issues and 4 desktop issues in total to the client which were further fixed by the client’s tech team. We were connected to their team constantly in order to fix the issues. 

We further did A/B tests of the product page layout and site search to measure the overall impact of our executions.

Final Output

Within one month of executing the recommended changes, we achieved the following results for the client:

  • 7% increase in overall website Conversion Rates
  • 8% increase in Revenue